Cool Heat ain’t hot…

| June 17, 2008 | 37 Comments

I’ve been silent on the newest MAC Collection Cool Heat.

Why? Honestly…I’m not impressed. From the moment I saw the promo pictures I thought that every single eyeshadow color was dupe-able. I haven’t even gone to my MAC Pro to see it in person. I just knew I could create a Cool Heat look without…Cool Heat. So check it:

Here’s the palette I used.

These are the only blue/turquoise colors I own. I mean….how many does a gal need?

Here’s a little diagram to show where I placed the colors.

I used UDPP as a base. I found that using a colored primer (I tried Delft paint pot and a L’Oreal HIP creme liner) made the colors pop TOO much. Because these eyeshadow colors are so highly pigmented and blendable, I found that there was no need for colored bases.

I also used:
Vanilla pigment as a highlight
Clinique purple liner on waterline
Milani liquid liner on lower lash line
SpinLash mascara

LIPS:
Urgent Slimshine (thanks Nywele!)

FACE:
MAC Studio Finish concealer in NW45
Bobbi Brown Brownie Shimmerbrick
(I seriously don’t see myself ever wearing foundation again. Is that bad? Heheheee….)

LOL, my flared nostrils. Cracks me up. I am really satisfied with passing on everything in the Cool Heat collection. However, if you are new to make-up or blues in general, this may be the perfect collection for you! I would love to hear your thoughts on this collection. And my look. Is there something I MUST take a look at? Whatcha thank?

Ciao chicas! Stay beautiful!

Tags: , ,

Category: Uncategorized

1. Lorie says:

Best look yet! And I say that with love. You did an amazing job with this look. I love it on you…

2. Product Junkie Diva says:

looks GREAT!!! Yes as I was strolling online through the cool heat section, I said ummm ok nothing for me here.
    I did want to make use of that 15% off sale (which has been extended to the 17th by the way)so I did get some tendertone lip treatments and other things even though I thought there was nothing for me in that line either.
    Great post…I love to fine good dups.
    Product Junkie Diva

3. Virtuous Blue says:

K, I will admit that the collection is quite dupable. But then again, I happen to think just about every shadow is dupable lol.

I guess it’s no surprise that i’m a sucker for blue, so when I initially took a peak at Cool Heat I got all gahgah lol. I don’t think i’ll purchase enough to go broke tho, but I might grab an item or two (or 3 lol).

Oh, and love the look on you Brit. It’s so “blue” :o)

Kenya
    VB

4. Grayburn says:

This looks gorgeous on you dear! Those blues really pop on your skin.

It was such a disaster without running water. If only I knew what I know now!

Hope you had a fab weekend!
    Grayburn

5. B says:

Lorie—> Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! Your fellow newbie here is getting slightly better in the blending. LOL!

PJD—> Can you believe I didn’t get a chance to indulge in that MAC sale? Nope, I didn’t buy anything. Gas bumped up to $4 here in Central FLA and I’m feelin’ it. :( I hope to get a review of those Tendertones! Muah!

VB–> So “blue”. I love it!!! I keep meaning to email you chicks back. I’m going to get up on it.

GB–> Thanks love!

6. rmcandlelight says:

Very beautiful. Just like virtuous blue said I believe all shadows can be dupable. I was in Walgreens the other day on the corner of SilverStar Rd and Hiawassee and Loreal hip has a new item like macs tendertones. They are $8.99 each. They have about 8 difference colors. I may go back and purchase one to try.

7. Kieya says:

Flawless as usual, i def need to step my eye shadow game up

8. Brown Girl Gumbo says:

Those colors look so good on you that I might have to give eye-shadow a shot! You know I hate how eye-shadow looks on me, but you’re really convincing me to give it another try! You look sooooo pretty!! :-)

9. D'lee Trecia says:

I can never understand how you keep up to date with all these new colors… I like how it looks on you though!!!

Off topic: When your going to loc up?
    just curious…

10. D'lee Trecia says:

Off topic: When your going to loc up?
    just curious…

11. D'lee Trecia says:

Off topic: When your going to loc up?
    just curious…

12. D'lee Trecia says:

Off topic: When your going to loc up?
    just curious…

13. D'lee Trecia says:

Off topic: When your going to loc up?
    just curious…

14. B says:

rmcandlelight–> I know where that Walgreens iiiis! Heyyy, we’re neighbors! Thanks for the heads up on the Tendertone-like items. Tendertones are pretty but they mighty expensive for a regular ole’ gloss.

Kieya–> Thank ya, mamacita.

BGG–> Now now now my dear, BGG, none of that. We must try to embrace the beauties of eyeshadow. And look at your new picture. Beautiful! I want dimples! *pouts*

D–> Part of bein’ a beauty editor is that you keep up with the newest collections. I’m a bit bias to MAC and drugstore brands but for the most part I know what’s goin’ on. Now whether I PURCHASE it all is another question. LOL!

Locs–sooner rather than later. I was going to start around the same time as my blog sistas Nywele and Symone. Might you want to join us? I’m thinkin’ closer to winter when it isn’t so hot. But is it every really “so hot” in Canada?

15. slvrlips says:

OMG! I love this look and I totally agree that the colors can be duplicated with existing colors. Very Pretty look !!!

16. LBIC says:

I love that look! It looks amazing. I’m going to have to try this one.

17. Miss Pretty says:

The blue looks good on you! I’ve always stayed away from the blue eyeshadow just because Ive heard black girls dont wear blue so many times! I wouldnt even know where to start, but your whole look is cute.

18. yummy411 says:

i was into it for the promos, but as you said they all are dupable and they proved my theory.. the color of the rainbow stays the same. now what form the colors come in is what make the difference to me. you did a great job with your dupe palette. when i saw the collection myself, i said i don’t need all of these because they will only get used in the same way as a lid color or slight accent and you really can’t tell one from the other!

you are comfortable in your own skin,.. great! no foundation to cover that up! that shimmerbrick sure is pretty on you! oh and the lip color! which i thought was rather scary for me! nice job!

19. nywele says:

looking good! I love how you combine the 4 eyeshadows and urgent looks great on you…sheer and pretty :)

20. Anonymous says:

Wow that looks gorgeous, I seriously think this is my favorite shadow job of yours!

21. Lish says:

i like the blue!!!! yes blk women can wear blue!

22. B says:

SlvrLips–> Ah haaa, you seein’ it too, right?

LBIC–> I seriously love your avatar and your posts. You keep me goin’ throughout those ong work days.

Miss Pretty–> You know you just gave me an idea for “But Black Women Can’t” right? LOL, thanks!!

Yummy–> I love that. The color of the rainbow stays the same. This is true. But leave it to MAC to fool us all. Shimmerbricks=heaven. But I say that ’bout everything, uh?

Nywele–> Thanks doll! Now I’m tryna get up on some more Slimshines. Thanks for starting the obsession!

Anon & Lish–> Thank you both!

23. Lil Sass says:

Oh snap! I just stumbled upon your blog from Jess over at Delicious Designs and I am a makeup whore! Maybe this connection was meant to be …. anyways, can I ask you about UDPP? I’ve heard it’s like cement but I am concerned with it making my shadow TOO hard to take off. What’s your experience with makeup remover/soap to get your product off, after using UDPP? Thanks! Your blog is added to my list, lady

24. Lil Sass says:

… me again … OMG I just read your ‘about me’ and you’re getting your MPH? YESSSSSSSSSS!!! We’re meant to be … makeup and public health goddesses UNITE!

25. Shefali says:

Great look!! I’m a lurker on your blog…but finally am commenting. This looks great on you, and I agree alot of the colors of Cool Heat are dupable (but I purchased 4 of them anyway). One color that I think you definitely have to check out is Warming Trend. It really is a gorgeous color that can be used everyday…and I don’t know if there is really anything like it.

26. Fashion's Darling says:

if I had tried this look I would look like a kid laying with mommy’s makeup…

Superb!

Honestly for my blues I stick to L’oreal’s HIP eyeshadows…they’re so lovely and can pass for MAC (to the untrained eye).

though I do lovee my MAC Parrot

27. nilla cookie says:

Hi Brittany,

Great Cool Heat look, girl! Looks great on you and you’re right.. no need to grab any of the shadows. What about the slimshines girl?

28. Lani says:

LOVEs it girl! if ya hadn’t mentioned it, i never woulda though you never used cool heat e/s lol. and that’s when you know a sister can rock that shit. :) XOXOXO!

29. B says:

Lil Sass–> Thanks for strollin’ by!! Invest in UDPP. I think it it is wonderful. I’ve been using baby wipes lately to remove my eye make-up and I haven’t had any problems. It with stands all day wear but comes off with a swipe. It’s great! You’re getting your MPH toooo? Yaaaay!!!

Shefali–> Warming Trend…okay, I’ll be sure to check that one out. Thanks for coming out of hiding. Another lurker unveiled. Lol, I love it!

FD–> Can you believe I passed on Parrot? I thought it was too close Shimmermoss but when I swatched it, it was actually different. I may need to add that to the collection.

Nilla–> Thank youuu! I haven’t even thought about Slimshines yet. When the make-up probation gets lifted, I’m definitely checking those out!

Lani–> Dang, I love you! And I’m glad you’re back in my life. LOL, seriously I missed you!

30. PBW says:

I love that look on you! I’m going to have to check out that Slimshine next time I’m in MAC.

I dunno. This new collection is kinda blah to me. Didn’t order anything – for a change.

31. Naturally Sophia says:

Muy Guapa! That’s beautiful.

32. Mrs. Lynne, MakeupFix.net says:

Hey sis. The Cool Heat colors are definitely dupeable. But I love the look you came up with! Very lovely on you… :D

33. Afrodite says:

I love some blue eyeshadow! Can I make a request? You should so do “But Black Women Can’t” on blue eyeshadows. I hear so many black women talking about not being able to wear blue eyeshadow. Pssssh! I wear it all the time when I go out…

34. B says:

PBW–> I thought the collection was “blah” too. So wasn’t feelin’ it. Especially with all of the dupes.

NS & Auntie Lynne–> Thanks!!

Afro–> Dang you ‘roun here spoilin’ upcoming posts! LOL, only my girl Afro!

35. SuzieC says:

Great look! I love blues and I walked right past this one. The only thing I thought when I looked at it was that I have similar colors at home. lol

36. Twinkle Twinkle says:

You’re right – Cool Heat isn’t hot. And all of the colors are dupable. I blogged about that. And yay to Vanilla pigment. I just got on that tip and I am loving it!

37. Qucifer says:

the Bobbie brown Browny I tend to use as EVERYTHING, from blush to highlighter to brow bone shadow etc etce tc