FOTD Friday: Les Nubians

| September 12, 2008 | 37 Comments

Happy Friday!! Gosh, this week was not too hot for me so I am excited for Friday. And I am diggin’ this week’s FOTD. It was surprisingly effortless. The ladies of Les Nubians were quite the inspiration!!

I love everything about this look. The dark burgundy lip. The springy green/blue eyes. The hot pink cheeks. And those mysterious white dots. I mean—wow. I tried to mimic this the best way I could but nothing does the original justice.

When I play around with theatrical dramatic looks I pull out something that I neeeever use:
…..foundation!

Well, not quite foundation. Bobbi Brown’s Tinted Moisturizer is as close as I get to using actual foundation. I forgot how wonderful this stuff is. It created the perfect canvas for the look. Along with that I used:

CHEEKS:
MAC Full Fuschia (PRO)
Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick in Brownie
EYES:
MAC Shimmermoss
Maybelline Unstoppable eyeliner
Dior Diorshow Mascara
Milani brow pencil
NYX White eyeliner

LIPS:

MAC Matte Lipstick in Bing

Gosh, lining those dots up was NOT easy.

..okay, I got a little too ANTM on that last one.

Me with a more “me” look.

I love love looooved doing this. It took me all of 8 minutes and my Sonia Kashuk fluffy brush was responsible for the wonderful wash of color on the lids. I want to try to do this look on someone else.

What do you think about this look? A little much? Creative? Funky? Would you try something like this?

Happy Fridays, mijas! Enjoy your weekends and stay beauuuuutiful!

Tags: ,

Category: FOTD Friday

1. Seymone says:

Love the look sis

2. safiyabeauty says:

Your eyes look gorgeous! i think this look could be totally wearable…minus the dots maybe. :)

n*

3. Amina says:

wow, beautiful!!!
    you did a great job replicating~~

4. slvrlips says:

Gorgeous!!! Very Pretty look! You hair looks fabulous as well

5. koffeedyme says:

nice…

6. janel says:

hi b! love the look–i keep having thoughts of trying some type of “artsy” makeup look. even though of issuing a challenge/contest thingie on my site or through the nappturality site…creative, funky and beautiful…be blessed, hugs and peace!

7. B says:

Seymone–> Thank youuuu! See you on the Blackberry/Twitter.

SafiyaBeauty–> Thanks! Okay, so it's not just me. Take away the dots and I would so so wear this on a night out!

Amina–> Thank you, lovely!

SlvrLips–> Thaaaank you! Drop the skinny on Fashion Week, missy!!

KD—> Muah!

Janel–> Hi! I love the idea of contests for us beauty bloggers. It is a great idea! A few months back Yummy411 did an 80's look and it was great b/c it not only allowed us to play in make-up we hardly use but brought out that inner make-up artist in us newbies. We should do one again in the near future!

8. rmcandlelight says:

I would say this is an artsy look. Me persa would not were this look. I love the blush it looks great on your skintone. Which lipstick is the darkest kirsh or bing?

9. ishtastic says:

Aw, you did it justice! It looks great. Looks like the original makeup artist brought the blush up higher to meet the outer brow line and darkened the brows. Your look (sans the white dots) is perfect for ‘real-people’ wear while Les Nubian did it perfect for an album cover. I gotta find my pink blush!
    ’till next time…

10. Mz.Courtney says:

not to be a debbie downer Bee, but honstly where would u where that???

ever????

11. Product Junkie Diva says:

I looked at the pics first and I said Lips in BING…I so knew it..lol
    I have to get that TODAY.
    You did a great job, you’re a pro!
    Have a great weekend
    PJD

12. B says:

rmcandlelight–> Thanks I love that blush! I think Kirsh is a little darker but only because its brown.

Ishtastic–> I tried to get my brows as dark as I could but ughhh, they were lookin' crazy at one point. HA!!

Courtney–> This is not something you wear out and about. I was in my bathroom. Not at the mall. Make-up artistry is more than just creating wearable looks.

PJD–> Biiiiing! Loves it! You have a wonderful weekend as well, sweets!

13. <3 Shawnta says:

You did a good job replicating the look B!! It does look very wearable minus the dots and turn the blush volume down a couple notches and I think it would be perfect for a night out!

14. <3 Shawnta says:

15. <3 Shawnta says:

16. <3 Shawnta says:

17. Sass says:

its beautiful b i love it! i think the camera may have washed it out a little but you did a great job replicating the look.

18. ShanSoPink says:

LOve it! It looks like so much fun!

19. Anonymous says:

Hi I just delurked to say ” You can see this look on South African street on a Saturday or Sunday when people attend a traditional wedding. The dots are used especially by the Xhosa people. They can be painted in a variety of way to symbolise something.

Afroeuro

20. AnnaBanna says:

love this! it looks like fun & u hit it right on!

21. Cocoa BelaFonte says:

I think you could wear this out if you were dressed for it….forget the stares…you rocked the look totally!

22. My Fashion Frenzy says:

LOOK AT YOU! YOU’RE SO TALENTED, SIS! =)

23. yummy411 says:

i love it!!!

24. Missy says:

Awesome replication that looks fab on you. I take it like runway styles…you got to bring it down a little bit to totally rock it in everyday. Translation: Great look minus the dots.

25. SuzieC says:

Great recreation!!

26. Alyssia says:

very creative..u did an awesome job! and is our hair growing already???? great post missy!

27. Miss Anjela says:

Hey B,

This is an awesome recreation! Seriously, you’ve just made the look really makeup newbie friendly…:)

28. PBW says:

You totally nailed that look! I like your red lip better than the deep brown one they did.

29. Zmaga says:

I’m sooo not there yet with my beauty skills, so I’m your newest follower :)
    Lovin’ the look!

30. Gangstarr Girl says:

I like this look a lot. Actually, the last time I had a big show with my dance company (at BAM Dance Africa), we did this look for dramatic effect. It was very last minute so I unfortunately don’t have pics, though I wish I did. But it’s beautiful!!! I love it.

31. Toya says:

Fab. Just fab.

32. Brown Girl Gumbo says:

Very pretty!! I remember that group back in the day. They were ahead of their time! Very creative post!

33. Tammy M says:

I absolutely love this!!! And yes, take away the dots, and you could rock this on a night out on the town! WOW!

34. Askmewhats says:

Creative, funky and all the HOTNESS in one look! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! you are so good B!!!

And I’m glad to be back and I”m glad to see your photos! you made me smile!

35. Kieya says:

absolutely beautiful

36. Pumps And Gloss says:

OOh B!!! Looking good, I absolute love the results!

37. Anonymous says:

Not really feeling it unless its part of a costume I just don’t think this was a good look for you.