Hair Update: Loc rockin’ for 2 months!

| February 17, 2009 | 17 Comments

Happy Tuesday, family.

So something happened yesterday….I did my first radio show last night. Eek! I thought I wrecked it but thanks to the Twitter fam’s encouragements I felt a little better. In the coming weeks I will ask the Clumps of Mascara what they think about weekly, bi-weekly or monthly radio shows. If you missed it, you can check out my first show HERE.

Aaaand, back to business:

I have gotten several emails about “what’s going on with my hair”. I created The Crowned Chronicles when I first started my locs. I am tracking my journey and also posting the looks of other beautiful natural men and women. I update this hair blog at least 2 times a week. Most of the following pictures have come from The CC but I don’t mind sharing them with the Clumps of Mascara family as well.

Look at how my hair is transforming!

November 2008

December 2008

January 2009

February 2009

Quite the difference, uh?

Some quick tidbits:
-Contrary to what most people think, I DO wash my hair. I used to think that water would interrupt the locing process, but it does not.
-I spend very little time maintaining my locs. They are easy to care for!
-My scalp is perpetually dry.
-I haven’t purchased any products for my hair since October 2008.

I am loving the changes!

What’s your hair looking like these days? New color? New cut? Same ol’ same ol’?

Are you big into hair care or not so much?

Enjoy your Tuesday,

This Day in Black History:
1997-Virgina House of Delegates votes unanimously to retire the state
song “Carry me back to old virginia”….a tune which
glorfies slavery.

Category: Hair

1. Askmewhats says:

Love this so much sweet! I love to see your hair transformation!

My hair is boring, still the same ‘ol do! :)

2. The Asian Girl says:

my hair isn’t loc’d but i too have a perpetually dry scalp :( I used T-Gel once in a while, but ugh, that smell!

3. Luvvie (aka Queen IG) says:

1. i LOVE your hair. And WOWWW @ the amount of growth

2. I didn’t know you had a hair journey blog *subscribing in google reader*

3. I’m ALWAYS changing my hairstyle, but one thing thats consistent is that I’ve kept it short for over 7 years, never getting past my ears. I’ve been natural for 2 yrs now though. You gon make me create a hair album

4. Dang, I cant remember what I was gonna say. Shoot!

4. Amy Mortensen says:

Lookin’ good!

5. ShanSoPink says:

I caught some of your radio show, I was working while I was listening so I couldn’t chat, but it was cool. I don’t know how ppl do that I def would have nothing to talk about :)

Your hair looks amazing!

6. 12kyle says:

Loving the hair, B!

I need to go and listen to the show

7. B says:

Nikki–> Thank you, darling. Stop…your hair is beautiful. You always have that sheen!

The AG–> Giiiirl, I know what you're talking about. I used to use that stuff and the smell is just awful.

Luvvie–> I told you I'm a chronic blogger…lol, like you. Short hair rocks. When I had a perm I had longer hair but loooove the short hair.

Amy–> Thanks beautiful!

Shan–> Thanks for tuning in, darling. It is a little nerve racking. I'm going to have a script next time.

12kyle–> Uh oh….my big brother is vistin' the beauty spot. I appreciate it. I'm going to tune in your show next time…now that I know how this BTR thing works.

8. Sandee says:

Ohhhh…it's soooo beautiful!!! Welcome to the journey! I'm at 21 months now myself! Here's a link to my pictorial hair journal, if you'd like to see… :)http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2016374&id=1346624618&l=8a4c2

I'm anxious for them to get mature and long enough to style…

For your dry scalp, try using a little Tamanu oil…its natural and will actually help heal your scalp (and skin).

Good luck!!!
    Have peace…

9. Kiarah C. W. says:

I had a short cut for a couple years and now it’s all grown out so for the past couple years I’ve been wearing a wrap. Thinking about cutting a bob again for summer.

10. Product Junkie Diva says:

Girl your locs are growing FAST!
    Great lippie from the Dec. shots.
    I didn’t know you were doing a radio show….I love that idea!!!!!
    Happy Tuesday

11. Wes says:

Wow it’s growing so fast.. I can’t wait till they’re down your back!!! The color is beautiful too

12. Earthtoned Glamgirl says:

I love your hair and your blog! I’m always lurking, but decided to finally post a comment. I just did the BIG CHOP a few weeks ago loving my new fade. I’m the type of person, that will change hair like the wind, long, short, curly, straight, I just like to be different, but I think, I’mma keep the short natural for awhile.

13. The Pretty Brown Girl says:

My scalp is perpetually dry too! *scratches*

I use EVOO on my scalp. It helps.

I got my last relaxer 2/13/04 and my hair was a long then as it is now.

Right now, I’m rockin’ the straight look after having worn my locs crinkly for the past 4 months. It took a while to get used to, but I like it. :)

Your hair journey is a joy to watch! Your hair is gorgeous, B.

14. Hijabi Apprentice says:

Wow your locs look great!

I am really big into hair care! I used to frequent np.com lhcf.com and other haircare forums religiously! I’m in a self imposed braiding challenge. I’m attempting to keep my hair braided for the rest of the year with maybe a 1-2 week break between sessions! I’m trying to grow my hair out long and healthy!

15. ishtastic says:

Your nappiness is coming along nicely! So glad you’re sticking with it. Ami would say, “It boodah-fole!”

For dry scalp, I would suggest vitamin E pills (one a day w/a glass of water) and coconut oil on your scalp. Hope that helps.

’till next time…

16. Lish says:

Get it girl. that is alot of Growth

17. Anonymous says:

the hair is lookin good & it fits you very nicely. i check in on the hair blog sometimes – you're makin me think about doing the dred thing!

** Big Cheekz **