Amor de Lacquer: Nicole’s Nic Sticks by OPI

| March 30, 2009 | 10 Comments

It’s Amor de Lacquer week!!!! All posts will be related to nail polish and nail care!

Welcome to another post of Amor de Lacquer….the series all about nail polish and nail care! Send me your requests, suggestions and ideas to Brittany@ClumpsOfMascara.com.

This is a reader requested product while I have had it for quite some time, I wanted to wait until Amor de Lacquer week to show it off.

Nicole’s Nic Sticks by OPI

First of all….I must say that I love the convenience of these things. I am probably the only person in the world who has a good 4-5 bottles of nail polish in her purse. I also carry polish remover wipes as well. I can’t help it! I like being able to switch up the nail color whenever I can. Nic Sticks makes it easier as they don’t weigh down my purse the way bottles of polish do.

I also like how they are readily available. You can find them at most drugstores and Target stores. The prices vary but I was able to get mine for $8. Yes….I know. I find that is a bit steep for nail polish (considering I never spend more than $5 on mine) but the fabulous packaging made up for it.

The brush

It is pretty much the pits. Look at all of those bristles going every which-a-way. They are all different sizes and make for awful application. Here is how the brush looks compared to the average polish brush.

I don’t know what Nic was thinking when he made these sticks. The brush is bulky and an eyesore to say the least. But alas you can not judge a book by its cover. Despite the brush’s wonky look, it did pretty well with the initial application.

To get the polish ‘a flowin’, there is a little pump at the top of the stick that needs a good 3-4 presses before it sends the polish to the base of the brush.

The finished product before clean-up!

And just because I was feeling a little extra funky….

Overall, I can deal with Nic Sticks. The formula wasn’t too watery and it only took 2 coats to get a decent color. I don’t know if I’d purchase more considering the brush is a pain to deal with but I like the two that I have now. They seem to have good color selections too!

Have you tried these? Interested or not so much?

Polish Pretty,

Tags:

Category: Amor De Lacquer, Nails

1. Stargirl says:

Wow! That looks really nice. How many coats did it take? I have a hot pink Nic Sticks and I HATE it!!! It’s way too sheer.

2. The Asian Girl says:

You did a great job with an AWFUL brush. I cringed when I saw those horrible bristles. It’s way too expensive for what it is…I’d say skip it and buy 2-3 polishes online for the same price.

3. Askmewhats says:

pretty color but the brush looks super bad! hahhaa :)

4. PBW says:

I love the color on you. But that brush is kinda wonky!

5. Miss Yaya says:

I don’t use mine that often b/c of the discomfort – I use the clear one though b/c you can’t see the mistakes if there are any – and that makes it great for the road :)

your application pre-cleanup is a great GREAT job i must say.

6. Lachelle says:

First off let me say that I’m loving that this week is Amor de Lacquer week!!!! I love nail polish…

2nd I’ve been wanting to try Nics Sticks for a while…Sally Hansen has got some new color pens out as well. Which one would you recommend out of the two?

Also, that polka dot manicure is the business, I want to do a pink and white one.

Here’s to a good week!

7. The Pretty Brown Girl says:

Ewww @ that brush! I know that would drive me bonkers! You seem to have made it work, B. The finished product is adorable! I want to give these nail pens a try. I’ve seen the Sally Hansen brand. I can’t pay the $8 though. SH is probably less expensive. :)

Yaaay for Amor de Lacquer week!!

8. rmcandlelight says:

I wondered about the application on those pens. I love the color. Whats the name of it? Are all the brushes wonkey like that? I did buy 2 of the SH nail art pens…haven’t used them yet. I could use them to make dots. What did you use for your dots?

9. B says:

Stargirl–> I just edited my post, mama. It took 2 coats.

The Asian Girl—> Yep, my sentiments exactly. These sticks are nice in theory but are a little too expensive. :)

Nikki & PBW—> Yesss, it is such a PIA!

Yaya–Whaaaat? There is a clear one? Shut your mouth. Now I would love that for touch-ups. Thanks for letting me know about that!

Lachelle—> Yaaay! I'm glad that you are excited about ADL week. I haven't tried those new Sally Hansen pens yet but I would start off with a black and white one. Can't go wrong with those colors if you are into designs. Thank you so much for the support, sis. I sooo appreciate it!

PBG–> Okay….you people and this Sally Hansen, lol! Yall are going to make it find these and check 'em out.

rmcandlelight–> Eek! I don't know the name. It's not on my pen for some reason. Now ain't that some foolery? Hmm….the other pen that I have like this has a wonky brush too. For the dots I used a regular nail art polish with a pointy brush.

10. Nessa says:

I have tried these and I really didn’t like them :( I got a deep Christmas-y red and it was soo streaky and goopey that I felt like a 5-year-old playing with markers! Fortunately they were buy one get one free!
    BTW I vote for you on glam!