Mascara Monday: Maybelline Lash Stylist Washable mascara

| March 9, 2009 | 16 Comments

Happy Monday!!

Did everyone have great weekends? I had a ball hosting a “Beauty 101″ class with a group of 16-year old young ladies. I even put together a little booklet that I will share with the Clumps of Mascara family later on this week. And the weather in Tallahassee, Florida was absolutely divine! The nomad in me is itching to make another big move but I have to admit….it’s going to be difficult to move to city that isn’t as warm as Florida is this time of the year.

Boy, I sure have been on a Maybelline mascara tip for a while, uh? I can’t help it! These older mascaras may be diamonds in the rough and I may not know about it. Is the Stylist one of them? Or just a big bust?

Check out the review…..

Maybelline Lash Stylist
Washable mascara

Price: 5 out of 5 (around $6. I got it as a BOGO buy from Walgreens )
Packaging (Brush Wand): 4 out of 5
Overall: 5 out of 5
Bold
What it claims: “Exclusive V-Styling mascara comb sculpts and thickens lashes up to 65%. (source)

The truth:
Aww look! It’s got a baby comb. How cute! In all real seriousness….this is a pretty good mascara. Maybelline is truly one of the best in the mascara making department, IMO.

What I loved about it:
Obviously the wand is pretty cool lookin’. And not only that it is pretty effective in getting ALL of your lashes out there.

I find that it is easier to use than the traditional mascara wand. It coats each and EVERY lash with ease.

What I didn’t like:
This may be the klutz in me, but I ended up getting a TON of mascara on my lower lash line when trying to apply this mascara. I mean, it’s insane…of course I have learned how to manipulate the brush a little better but my first few applications were a hot mess. LOL, literally.

Overall: To be honest…I kinda wanted to hate this mascara. LOL, seriously. I feel like a broken record when it comes to singing praises to Maybelline’s mascaras. But it’s not just simple adoration for these babies. As the saying goes, “Proof is in the pudding” and I hope that you all see that I’m not exaggerating with the before/after photos and videos. Simply put..this mascara is GREAT! Per its claim, it DID thicken my lashes and gave a crazy amount of length. The volume junkie in me would have liked a little more volume but I think that this is great for every day wear. It is easy to remove, doesn’t irritate or flake and is just a pleasure to work with.

LOL…like it’s a co-worker or somethin’. On to the photos.

Lashes without mascara
(did not curl lashes)

Lashes with 2 coats of mascara

I should probably mention that you really only need one coat of this mascara. Two isn’t at all necessary and I only applied that second coat out of habit.

I like mascaras with the comb! Clinique High Definition Lashes mascara has a wand like this and I found success with that baby too.

Would I recommend it?: Sure do! Especially if you find that your lashes are wild and crazy like me. The comb will set them straight.

Have you ever tried this mascara? A fan? Didn’t find success with it? Do you prefer mascaras with combs? I would love to know your thoughts!

Always,

Tags: ,

Category: Mascara Monday

1. Askmewhats says:

girl! i like the mascara wand!! It reminds me of Fasio mascara! a japanese brand, oohh I am going to be looking out at Local Maybelline counter for this :)

2. Product Junkie Diva says:

I totally see a difference in your lashes!
    PJD

3. Shana says:

YAY! I am so glad you liked it! As I have stated this is my HG mascara. I buy 3 tubes at a time. As for application I do behind my lashes from the base up (if that makes sense), the wand is so tiny that I can do it that way without making a mess and then I do another coat on the outside again from the base up – do the other eye and then come back and apply a second coat – DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA! Love it!

4. Miss Yaya says:

it's only b/c of you that I am starting with the maybelline mascaras… this wand makes me think of my first sephora fave that started it all…. the Bourgeois Yes to Volume mascara (also the reason to me perfecting mascara application on the subway…) sadly sephora doesn't sell the brand anymore, but i DID track it down on Amazon just to show ya…

5. The Lush List says:

that looks great! i love the video… “i’m not gonna poke, you dude!” hehehe
    Thanks!

6. Anonymous says:

this is what i’ve been using for the last 6 months. i like it too.

7. Lunesse says:

L’Oreal’s Volume Shocking has a wand like that and it was awful. How do you think this compares to it?

8. Anonymous says:

I absolutely love this mascara!!
    read my complete review at:

9. Kittieb0o (youtube) says:

I've had 3 tubes of this stuff and yes, it promised long thick lashes, and i got it, but jeez how much more flaking could this mascara get?! it was so bad, my eyes were swollen for five days, bulldog style.

10. B says:

Kittieboo—> LOL, 3 tubes? You are worse than me! Nahhh, not really. I've purchased 2. But it really is good stuff. I didn't experience any flaking. Swollen eyes? Giiiirl….you need not to purchase than anymore.

11. kittieb0o says:

TRUST, i won't , any recommendations of CHEAP mascara's (drugstore brands) for full, & long lashes?
    Like, besides Imju Fiberwig that made your eyelashes the LONGEST & fullest ever?

12. B says:

kittieboo—> It's hard to get full AND long lashes with any mascara; high end or drugstore. I usually have to use one for length and another for volume. L'Oreal's Lash Beauty Tubes is "okay" with length and so is Maybelline Lash Stiletto. I would use either one of those and then layer L'Oreal Voluminous for thick and full lashes.

13. Kyla says:

I just found your site, and might I say its fabulous. I"m a mascara junkie~
    I really loved this mascara, until the end of the day.
    Its great it doesn't clump awesome color. But it flakes SO awfully for me.

14. Anonymous says:

i LOVE this stuff.
    its the only mascara that has ever worked for me

15. Brynn says:

HEY PEOPLE!
    just to let you know you can find this mascara on amazon.com even though it’s been discontinued.
    oh, and b, the link to this review from “The Best” category doesn’t work

16. [...] What I Loved About It: The wand is by far one of my favorite types of wands. It makes for perfect separation! It reminds me of my beloved Lash Stylist mascara. [...]