Beauty in Vegan eats and Raw Food treats

| June 23, 2009 | 16 Comments

How corny is that title?

HA! I know, I know…

Lately I have been exploring vegan and raw foods. I have been talking about my experience, showed photos and tweeted recipes all over Twitter. I thought I should also do a quick post on Clumps of Mascara in case there are other Clumps readers looking to incorporate healthier foods in their diets.

Follow my photo journey!

A week starts with a visit to one of the local farmer’s markets here in Orlando. Can you believe I spend no more than $7 for a week’s worth of fruits and veggies? And people say eating healthy is expensive. Ha!

Google “green smoothies” and tell me what you find. Greens blended with your favorite fruits are the ultimate power drinks. They are not only tasty but are full of vitamins and minerals. My body literally craves these things. I usually use kale, spinach, collards, blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, bananas, ginger, almond milk, coconut milk, cinnamon. Whatever I can find, I toss in! The combinations are endless and ALWAYS delicious. No matter how funky it looks.

Lunch is usually a huge spinach salad with sunflower seeds, raisins, olive oil, lemon pepper, sprouts, tomatoes, peppers, etc. And although I’m not a fan of carrots, I find that munching on them keeps the hunger pangs at bay. Oh—and a gallon of water a day is a must!

One of my favorite meals! Spaghetti squash topped with fresh tomatoes and raw lemon drenched kale. Don’t knock it until you try it!

Can you tell I love kale? If I’m craving a crunch with a bit of saltiness, I make kale chips. Toss them in the oven for 10 minutes, sprinkle a little sea salt on top and they almost taste like chips.

And just because I’m incorporating more greens doesn’t mean I have to go without my sweets. I love pina coladas. Toss in a few pineapples, coconut milk, ice and cinnamon and oh wee….sah-weet!

Vegan chocolate chips anyone? Don’t turn your nose up. They taste just as good as the regular ones….if not better! This is the recipe I used.

Many have asked WHY I have gone this route. I simply wanted to spice up the way I eat—in a good way. I’ve been a good eater for quite some time but I am loving adding veggies to everything! And loosing weight along the way ain’t so shabby.

Let me know what you think! You know I find beauty in EVERYTHING so don’t be surprised to see more green foods somehow tied with beauty on Clumps of Mascara.

My Top Raw Resources:
Raw Epicurean
Choosing Raw

If you are on Twitter, I highly suggest following these ladies. They tweet great tips and recipes!
@naptress
@MyRawChef
@JulieK
@VeganCook101

…..there are so many! My online Coach has even started a support group so if you are looking to incorporate greens in your diet, join us here!

Stay green,

Tags: ,

Category: Uncategorized

1. Girlfriend says:

I thought about doing a vegan detox to cleanse my body and to see if this would help me achieve healthy skin…I go to my local farmers stand and the veggies and fruits are no more than $3 and I love to shop at Whole Foods they have the best vegan chocolate chip oatmeal cookies…I use Seventh Generation products for cleaning and baking soda (it can clean so many things) I use Giovanni hair products, jojoba oil, coconut oil, etc…and I don't have natural hair…people have there opinions about organic and natural products but I will say that I have noticed a big difference since changing a few things…I am really thinking about trying a two week vegan detox…thanks for the post

2. trofie says:

congratulations brit! ken dawg & i purchased a juicer this past weekend and i will be making room on the counter because it is a must that we use this on a daily basis!!!!!!! you rock girl!

jasmin

3. SoHo Accessories says:

I start off with good intentions but I get distracted….In NYC healthy eating is expensive. Too few farmer markets!
    I do eat healthy but not vegan.

4. Missy says:

I am so excited to hear that you're trying a new way of eating. I am vegetarian and am now going vegan. The only things that you've listed that I steer clear of are coconut milk in the green smoothies (I prefer almond milk) and I have never tried the spaghetti squash. Instead, I use a whole wheat pasta that is protein and fiber enriched. I've hear that the squash is much better but…I don't know how I feel about it. One thing about going vegan is that you get out of your food comfort zone and try lots of new foods. Oh yeah, the vegan chocolate chips cookies are amazing. When I don't feel like baking and want something sweet, I always have a Larabar in the pantry! They are raw, gluten free, and vegan!

5. Krasey Beauty says:

Kudos to you for trying something different. I definitely have to hand it to you, eating raw cannot be easy!I am sure it has you looking and feeling fabulous though!

;)

6. B says:

Girlfriend—> Don't even get me started on Whole Food's vegan cookies. I have serious addiction to them. There's are what inspired me to make my own. But mine aren't even as CLOSE to being as tasty as theirs. I didn't really follow that vegan detox. I really just got the book because of the yummy recipes. And you're right….going organic/natural has changed my life too. I've done the vegetarian thing before so I'm used to no meat. No cheese ever again, however, would kill me….lol!

Trofie—> I'm so proud of ya'll!! Let me know what kind of goodies ya'll blend up.

SoHo Accessories—> Choosing Raw (the link is below) is in NYC! I don't know how she does it with pizza spots and Starbucks on every corner. That would be tough for me too.

Missy—> You've got to try that spaghetti squash. It really is very tasty and fulfilling. Definitely not better than pasta but a decent alternative. I have got to try this Larabar. Vegans LOVE them. I am sooo missing out.

KB—> *pops collar* Well, you knowww….lol, I'm kidding. I'm having fun with it. :)

7. kukaberry says:

I love this! Please post about raw foods as much as you like. It's sparked my interest. In fact, I'm thinking about picking up some spinach for a salad. :-)

8. yummy411 says:

how have you been feeling or what changes have you seen since you started your raw diet? how many of your meals are raw?

9. Missy says:

I went to Trader Joe's on the way home from work and picked on up. Ok, so now what do I do with it? Like, how do you open it and all that???? I'll have to Google something. LOL That's so sad isn't it?

10. Anonymous says:

OMG! I love this post It's very hard to find a beauty blog that focuses on healthy living because we all know beauty starts on the inside first and try soaking fresh dates in vanilla almond milk and adding bannanas with kale ….such a good smoothie

11. Kristen's Raw says:

Congrats on experimenting with vegan and raw food. YAY!!! That's my life :)

Cheers to Green Smoothies,
    Kristen

12. B says:

Kukaberry—> Yaaay!! Rawk on, sis. I looove spinach salads.

Yummy411—> Although I've been incorporating more greens, my eating habits have always been pretty healthy. I didn't make any major cuts (except the white sugar I put in my oatmeal). So I haven't noticed any major changes yet. And most days all three meals are raw. But by choice. I happen to love them! Sometimes dinner is "baked"—like a baked sweet potato.

Missy—> I found the BEST YouTube video about how to handle the spaghetti squash. Shoot me an email at Brittany @ ClumpsOfMascara.com so I can forward it to you.

Anon—> Thank you! I am sooo going to grab some dates this weekend and try that!

Kristen's Raw—> Love love loooove your blog so your visit is quite the treat. :)

13. Kamika says:

Britt, check out the Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry. It's a really good book and it has a lot of sweets!

14. Jennifer says:

Here's a dumb question, but what does kale taste like? I'd imagine blending spinach into a green juice would make it taste spinachy, and I'm under the impression that greens like kale – unless they were cooked to within an inch of their lives – are bitter? Does the addition of all that fruit cancel out any bitterness?

15. Lara says:

Hi there, Britt. I tried a green smoothie yesterday. It was really good! I'm going to make another one today. I used Spinach, frozen bananas, blueberries, almond milk, a bit of vanilla extract and a nectarine.

I will experiment with a mango and ginger today. Thanks for this post!

Please post more on your raw foods/vegan journey.

16. B says:

Kamika—> Ohmigoodness, you have made my life. Thank you for this! Can't wait to check it out.

Jennifer—> I kinda like kale by itself which is a little strange. I can't really describe the taste although my friend says it tastes like grass. LOL! It is the BEST thing raw but I love it in a smoothie. When mixed with yummy fruits, you can't even taste it. I promise you!!

Lara—> Yay on your green smoothie! Sounds delish. I haven't tried any citrus in any of my smoothies so you've inspired me a bit. Keep it up, lady!