Eyeliner Face-off!!

| July 29, 2009 | 17 Comments

It’s that time again!!

Once upon a time here at Clumps of Mascara I had an eyeliner face-off. That’s right. I rounded up a few of my favorite eyeliners; both drugstore and higher end put them to the test to see which ones were the most durable.

Because you know they ALL claim to be smudge-proof and waterproof. Yeah yeah…

“That’s what they all saaay!”

I decided to do another face-off. I have six teams this time around.

Meet the teams!

(from left to right)
Team N.Y.C. Waterproof eyeliner pencil (sky high)
Team Maybelline Unstoppable (onyx)
Team Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Eye pencil (jet black)
Team Tarte Emphas Eyes high definition eye pencil (green)
Team Urban Decay 24/7 glide-on eye pencils (covet)
Team MAC Pearlglide eye liner (rave)

Choose who you think we will now and see if you are right!

I took the liners through Three Rounds. Round I was Durability. I used them on the back side of one hand and left them there for a good 5 hours. Which liners made it the first round?

Team Maybelline and Team Tarte aren’t doing so hot this go round. Round II is the wet test. Which liners can last being submerged under water for a few seconds?

Team Rimmel is slowly sliding away this go round. Looks like Team N.Y.C., Urban Decay and MAC are holdin’ on! But will they last the final test? The ultimate tri-swatch test? I rubbed my fingers vigorously over the liners. You would never do this in real life but if the liners can stand up to this, they will really last on your eyes.

Would you have thought that Team N.Y.C. would win? Look how vibrant that blue is? Team Urb Dec and Team MAC didn’t do so bad either.

Can’t judge the liner by the price. For under $5 N.Y.C. really surprised me!

Rock on, N.Y.C. Cosmetics!

What are some of your favorite liners?

Tell me!

Tags: ,

Category: Eyes

1. Anonymous says:

What a great idea!

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Prestige's pencils. I use the ones with the silver pencil exterior but they've got a few other types as well. Price point is mid-drugstore–more than NYC, less than Revlon or L'Oreal, and they've got tons of colors. (Warning, their site has sound and doesn't have online shopping.)

2. Aquaheart says:

WOW so great! I love the fact that the cheapest one stood out and made it! haha very interesting post! :)

3. Askmewhats says:

I still haven't found one!!! I am currently finding my fave pencil liner as everything smudges on me!!!! thanks for your test :)

4. misstrishdelish says:

love it that's awesome thanks for this i was contemplating on buying a couple of the teams that died out early. but i do have to say i've purchased other nyc stuff and they turned out to work just as good if not better than other higher end products :)

5. Jazz says:

I like styli style pencils from cvs – they are about 7.00 each . Or if i just want a quick wash of color , the jordana ones from walgreens work really well for 1.50

6. Mama Jen says:

sometimes those drugstore brands will surprise you. looks like N.Y.C. liners are worth a look at.

7. Crystal says:

omg the NYC is still so vibrant!

8. Sara (The Makeup Snob) says:

What a great post! I love this! Definitely makes me wanna give nyc another look!

Sara:) http://www.themakeupsnob.com

9. Mocha says:

My current fave is Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner, its a good drugstore brand that lasts all day. I'll have to give the NYC a try, the test was impressive!

10. Product Junkie Diva says:

isn't it fun when the cheapie wins?
    PJD

11. GS says:

I think is not fair to test them in the back of your hands… I have liners that in the back of my hands last hours and hours, but on lids or waterline? whole ´nother story…skin on hands is drier than lids so of course it´s going to last that way… the real test comes when you apply the liner and it last without smudging and budging and fading… but yeah funny to see cheapie one win this

12. Anonymous says:

I'd prefer to see a contest between the same colors – all black or all purple, etc, but otherwise really cool =)

13. Anonymous says:

it really surpised me too. masccara face off is funny and creative, i like it.
    *akua*

14. Meagan Elizabeth says:

I think my favorite pencil liners are the Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes liners! I think it would have been interesting to see one in this test.

15. T says:

I'm sold! great post.

16. B says:

Thanks for the comments, ladies! Stay tuned for more drugstore vs. higher end smackdowns!!

17. Anonymous says:

THANK YOU so much for this honest review of the products! I have been a faithful MAC powerpoint (color – engraved) user because of its staying power, however, due to the price, I don't have the luxury of buying up and trying several colors. NYC is such a great alternative! For the budgetly-challenged like myself, I really appreciate your review so I don't end up wasting my money. THANKS and keep up the great work!