Acne Sucks: Skin Updates

| December 1, 2009 | 19 Comments

Hey y’all! It’s your favorite Pimple Poppin’ lady. I really shouldn’t even call myself that because poppin’ pimples really ain’t good. So disregard that. HA!

Anywhoovers, I was thinking that it was time to update y’all on my skin and its battle with acne. It has been doing A LOT better. I attribute it to many things but mostly to the Differin gel that my dermatologist prescribed. Even though my skin is acting all normal and whatnot, I fear the day I run out of this stuff. Lawd, let’s hope I can get it for life.

Daily pimples are no more. They just don’t pop up. And when they do, they are small and easy to tackle.

And I know I keep saying I’ll review it and I will but ohmigoodness….skin tone correctors are a must have for the woman of color battling hyperpigmentation. I’m almost positive that they would work well for anyone. Wow! I am amazed. Over time, it has literally erased some of my dark spots. See for yourself!

These photos are untouched. I am not wearing any foundation, correctors or blush in any of them. Well….I take that back. A closer look at the first photo shows a swatch on concealer. But never the mind. Can you see the difference?

I talked about my skincare routine via video and even showcased some new products that I can’t WAIT to review for y’all. To see what I’m talking about, you’ll have to listen to me ramble and act a mess.

Sooo, the skin is doing better. Hallelujah! Stretch marks? Whatever. Chubby tummy? I can deal. The inability to wear above the knee boots because I have fat knees (lmao)? Fine. But I will NOT let acne get the best of me. The fight is still on because my skin, at any moment, can turn against me.

Now it’s your turn! To my fellow acne fighters, what have you been using that’s been working wonders? Spill the beans, sisters!

Tags: , ,

Category: Acne Sucks, Skincare

1. adorepink says:

The inability to wear above the knee boots because I have fat knees (lmao)? Fine. <—-Cracking UP!

But anyway, I haven't used anything prescription strength on my acne in years but I LOVE ProActive. Some people hate it, some love it and I happen to be one of the ones that do. It never dries my skin out like harsh drugstore cleansers (which is sad because I wish they didnt, more affordable) and I breakout a lot less, almost hardly ever.

2. Anonymous says:

hi,

I stumbled upon your blog and I just wanted to say how amazing you are. I've been dealing with acne since I was 13 or so (damn puberty) and it just never left. I've tried proActive, differin, benzoyl peroxide, etc. etc. I hated how horrible my skin looked, I'm pale and the acne left scars on my cheeks :( but like you, I'm just trying to deal with it. Anyways, I'm probably rambling now… GOOD JOB!:)

3. Anonymous says:

Accutane was a Godsend for me! My only regret was that I didn't take it sooner.

4. antithesis says:

acanya gel and differin have been the best things that ever happened to me. i should have just asked for differin the first time i went to a derm. but i forgot how well it worked on my dreaded bacne when i was around 13 or 14. i probably wouldnt have asked b/c it was strong and pretty much worked overnight and i wouldnt want to put something that strong on my face. DUH, they come in different strengths. sometimes what i am using can be a little too much and i get some peeling but i just scale back or stop for a few days and im good to go.

ur face in july looks nothing like mine did and still does. and wow! @ ur nov. face. congrats to you!

5. TaiCM. says:

My daily routine has helped clear up my darkspots

Morning: wash my face with CV rhassoul clay bar

I use a homemade rosewater/organic witch hazel toner

I moisturize with grapeseed oil(which is antiseptic)

Night treatments:

M,W,F- I use RoC Anti-wrinkle cream(which has AHA's and retinol)

T,Thurs, Sat- Rx for Brown Skin Exfoiliating serum.

My skin loves this!

6. Martha says:

I've been dealing with the hyperpigmentation spots For.Ev.Er! I tried the Clinique 'even better' serum, but it seems that it was a "one step forward, two steps back" for my skin… it made me break out, causing more spots, so I needed more serum and so forth and so on, lol. So I stopped that!

I'm not using a product by Old Henriksen which the Sephora lady assured me was for us brown girls because the rep for the line specifically mentioned that as a selling point! So I'm doing that and I love it! Though… I'm definitely going to see a derm for my current bumps. It's not right to have clear skin as a teen and then break out as an adult, lol. It's not right, I tell you!

ps. AMAZING results on the skin :)

7. wittydreamer says:

Hi B,

Great post as always! I use the Murad color corrector and it works pretty well with my dark spots! You should really give the Murad skin products a whirl sometime b/c they are just really great!

Anywhoo's I wanted to know if you will be doing a winter MUST HAVES b/c I remember when you did a summer one and I totally loved it! You always give great tips! Hope your weeks going well!

8. Askmewhats says:

I love you B for doing this!!! so proud and happy for your skin!!! You go girl!!!

9. slackey210 says:

I'm in a constant battle with my adult acne. I've tried rx products, pro-activ, otc products you name it. Right now I'm using Neutrogena Clear Pore Daily Cleanser/Mask. You can use it as a cleanser and aslo as a mask. I've been using this for about 2 weeks but have already seen results. I think that I've finally decided that I'm just wasting money on products containing salicylic acid and that benzoyl peroxide seems to work better. (But I did learn that it bleaches your belongings so use a white washcloth). I have a ton of dark marks so I guess I better run and find a skin tone corrector QUICK!

10. tsjohnson05 says:

I too suffer from aduly acne. I recall in my teens looking forward to becoming an adult so that I didn't have to deal with acne, NOT!

I'm going back to the Dermatologist next week. I was prescribed Benzaclin and it worked for for as long as I used it, it stopped when I ran out.

I just started using 100% hea butter on my face, I'm hoping to see some results in a month or so.

11. slackey210 says:

@ tsjohnson05 – I used benzaclin and it did nothing for me $30 down the drain. uggh!!!!

I was in Rite Aid on my lunch break today and I picked up the Dr. Miracle acne treatment, guess I'll see if that helps. Anybody here tried it????

12. kukaberry says:

I need to set up a appointment with a dermatologist. Glad u found some things that work!

13. Lorie says:

I've been recently using the Mario Badescu line and I'm in love so far. I had perfect clear skin in high school. Being an adult has been rough on my chin. I used to swear by a combo of the clean/clear persa gel/neosporin to quickly heal the pimples I did manage to pick at, but no more. I've been loving the drying cream from Mario Badescu's line. You answer some questions on their site, and they send you free samples. I'm loving that strategy. They also give you directions on how to use the products and that helps us newbies even more. Check it out, chica.

14. risque says:

my dermatologist prescribed differin for me as well which i use at night, and i use finacea in the mornings as well. my skin has cleared p considerably since then but now im just trying to clear up the spots from prior outbreaks.
    i try to use a face wash that has no oil, scent since im using products that are pretty strong.
    i also use a glycolic wash 3 times a week and that helps alot
    loves ur blog!!!

15. Anonymous says:

Hey ! I'm one of ur youtube subscribers and I LOvee You gurl !! Keep doin what u do ! Antywho, I had been battling with clear skin for the longest, and through youtube, Ive finally found some rest. So far, I've just gotten through using my first bottle of philosophy-purity and it has been great. For a moisturizer I use bee yummy skin food by live-live products, this is all natural and I L-O-V-E it ! I'm just about to finish up my first little tub, but it is awesome stuff. I have a little skin discoloration, just a lil, so I just got the origins sample today..I will be sure to update you on how that goes. Highonhealth on youtube has some grrrrreatt skin care tips, I highly recommend watching her channel. Take care babes !

God Bless !

16. B says:

Anon—> Thanks for the love and support, mama! I really appreciate it. I LOVE Philosophy's Purity. Don't know why I haven't reviewed it yet but I am in love.

17. MAP says:

If your acne is related to oily skin, let me tell you what your best friend is – Clinique Clarifying Lotion No. 3.

I honestly think acne washes are so counter productive. Even though I love the "stripped" feeling they give you, because my skin just loves to be oily and that the complete opposite feeling, I can get occasional breakouts when I use them and sometimes they actually dry out my skin so that it is weirdly dry-oily – flaky and painful but still oily a few hours after I wash my face.

So now I do – Estee Lauder Sparkling Clean Oil-Control Foaming Gel Cleanser, Clinique Clarifying Lotion No. 3, and Estee Lauder Clear Difference Advanced Oil Control Hydrator.

One piece of advice – dry your face with a towel before you apply the the Clarifying Lotion with a cotton ball – otherwise it will slightly sting. I don't know why it does that on a wet face, but it does.

I promise you this will work, let me know if you try it out! When I don't wear makeup and I'm feeling lazy, I can get away with doing this only once and day and still not break out.

My suggestions for makeup removers:

Clinique Rinse off Foaming Cleanser (for face)

Rimmel Gentle Eye Makeup Remover (for eyes) – most eye makeup removers are gross, oily, and sting my eyes. This stuff is the best and really, really gentle and the best thing is that there is no oil or oil like stuff! Plus you can get this at the drugstore. All the best!

18. B says:

MAP—> Thanks for all of the information!

19. [...] Okay, what’s the bottom line? Did the Clarisonic Mia work for you? Absolutely!!! My skin has never looked better. I know that sounds cliche, but I mean it. My skin has changed completely and I attribute it to the Clarisonic Mia. I can’t even say diet, exercise and vitamins. Those have all been a part of my life for quite some time and my skin was STILL a mess. The Clarisonic Mia, along with visits to the dermatologist and skin tone correctors have really changed my skin. See my before and after pictures here. [...]