Mascara Monday: Rimmel The Max Bold Curves mascara

| August 9, 2010 | 12 Comments

Rimmel managed to sneak another one of their mascaras on the beauty shelves. I almost missed this one! I’m so used to seeing commercials of their newest mascaras but didn’t see any of this one. Then again, I only watch a good 2 hours of television a week. Hahahaa!!

Rimmel very rarely disappoints me in the mascara department. How did they do this go round?

Rimmel The Max Bold Curves
Price: 5 out of 5 (I got it for $5.99 at Target. It was on sale. Holla!)
Packaging (Brush Wand): 2 out of 5
Overall: 2 out of 5

What it claims:
Per the packaging…

The truth: Am I the only one that would assume that this is a curl mascara? I mean…it IS called “The Max Bold CURVES”. But nope…it’s a volume and lifting mascara.
What I loved about it: It does just okay with one coat. If you’re not a fan of buildable mascaras and just want to apply one coat and be out, this one may work for you.
What I didn’t like: This needs very little explanation. If any..

I’m just SO over seeing mascaras do this. It’s starting to frustrate me to no end. WHY do these companies continually do this? I think everyone should take the Belvada mascara approach because mascara poop is really irkin’ a sista’s nerves yo. I won’t fault Rimmel solely for this as I’ve seen the same issues with Revlon, L’Oreal and Maybelline mascaras too. Still…it makes mascara application challenging; especially if you’re trying to get in the inner corners of the eyes. Not to mention it is a total waste of product. Boo!

Overall: The wand isn’t the best as I find it too large to actually work with. And then there’s the “curvy-ness” of it. I never understand why brands do that as everyone’s lashes and eye shapes are different. I don’t feel like the shape of the wand in this instance helped me achieve greater volume or lifting. My little trick for lifting the lashes? Doing this…

…and holding it for a good 30 seconds or so.

I don’t think I really like the formula of this one. One coat is just so so but two coats is a nightmare. The formula seems to be so thick and goopy. If goopy is a word. :) It has troubles staying put throughout the day and will flake right on your fingers if you gently wipe your lashes.

Lashes without mascara
(did not curl lashes)

Lashes with 1 Coat

Lashes with 2 Coats

Would I recommend it?: Not at all. Which makes me sad because I usually like Rimmel mascaras. I think they have better ones than this one though. No me gusta.
Have you tried this mascara yet? Whatcha think?
A crazed mascara reviewer,
My page on hellocotton

Tags: ,

Category: Mascara Monday

1. Steph says:

This one is mocking me in my drawer; I don't like it either! I didn't totally hate it, but the fact that it's not buildable makes me never want to use it. So sad!

2. Askmewhats says:

B sweetie, I love your blue liner, I know this is a mascara review, but I just can't take my eyes off the blue liner that looks so gorgeous

3. Bee says:

I hated this mascara too! It didn't do much of anything.

4. Michelle - Ethnic Skin Care says:

Thanks for sharing this one. Definitely can avoid it now.

Have you tried Victoria Secret's purple liner? It is Gorgeous! I think its the Heidi Klum line.

5. thedogismine says:

I bought it and after using it at least 3 times I returned it. This mascara blows.

6. B says:

Steph—> Total fail, right? Ugh!

Nikki—> This why I love you. :)

Bee—> Haaated it!

Michelle—> No, I haven't! But I was in VS yesterday and didn't see it. Looks like I'll have to take another trip.

thedogismine—> I wish I could take mine back but I think I lost the receipt. :(

7. f3mal3flip says:

Have you tried Bare Minerals Flawless definition volumizing mascara yet?

8. Kayla says:

i love the bareMinerals Flawless Definition Mascara its amazing! can you do a review on the tarte multiplEYE mascara? thank you!

9. B says:

Nope! Haven't tried Bare Minerals' yet. But I did review tarte multiplEYE's. :)

10. Corrine says:

I actually like this mascara, it is one of, if not my favorite. lol

11. [...] Volume Couture Neutrogena Healthy Volume Revlon Double Twist Volumizing Rimmel Max Volume Flash Rimmel The Max Bold Curves Wet ‘N Wild MegaPlump Wet ‘N Wild MegaVolume Yves Saint Laurent Volume Effet Faux Cils [...]

12. Tina says:

I caution my child to be a sceptic when it comes to TV and commercials in particular and I forgot all of my own rules. We were traveling and I forgot my mascara, so I bought the Rimmel bold curves, promising volume, length and NO CLUMPING. On the third brush It clumped, I cleaned it up and it clumped again. I don’t think it does any of the things it promises. I bought 2,1 for travel and I for home and I wish still had the receipt so I could take it back.