Amor de Lacquer: Layla Magnetic nail polish review

| October 19, 2011 | 23 Comments

Ohmigoodness. I’m in love. Judge me all you want, but yes. Yours truly is in love with a nail polish. And I don’t really care what people say about. Forget matte nail polishes. Forget crackles and glitters too. I’d give them all up if it meant only having magnetic nail polishes for the rest of my life.

Now I know magnetic nail polish isn’t anything new. I know that Lancome released one some time ago. As did L’Oreal. It looks as if magnetic nail polishes are making a comeback, and I for one, can not be happier. Here’s the thing about these kids though:

-The cost quite a bit ($16 USD)
-They are hard to find in stores
-Shipping can be costly

While Nails Inc. has released gray and purple magnetic polishes at Sephora, I have yet to actually find these in stores. It has taken everything in me to not spend over $30 (not including shipping) on two bottles of polish. But I couldn’t hold out any longer. I searched on Amazon and before I knew it I was purchasing Layla Magneffect Magnetic in Purple Galaxy.

Bottom line: Is this worth $16?

YES, yes and YES!!!! And this is coming Cheapy McBritty here. This polish has such an amazing and beautiful finish that I could stare aimlessly at my nails for minutes at a time. The concept is easy. The magnet sits at at the top of the handle.

The polish is thick in consistency, which you will later find out, is a good thing.

In order to get the magnet to work correctly, you HAVE to apply a generous amount of polish. I find that applying a thin first coat and then a nice and thick second coat is the best way to go. Immediately following that second coat, flip the polish top over the nails (be careful not to smudge) and within seconds, lines will appear.

It really is magic. It takes no more than 1-3 seconds for the magnet to do its work. The best way to get the BEST appearance is by using the magnet after applying the second coat to each nail. So it’s Polish-Magnet-Polish-Magnet-Polish-Magnet.

The results are stunning, uh?

I want more. I think I’ll wait for Sephora’s Friends & Family deal before I snag one from Nails Inc. You can find several retailers selling Layla Magneffect Magnetic nail polish. And we can only hope that other nail polish brands will soon release magnetic polishes at a more affordable price.

So whatcha think? Want to give magnetic nails a try?

Amor de Lacquer….the series all about nail polish and nail care! Send your requests,
suggestions and ideas to Brittany@ClumpsOfMascara.com.

Tags: , ,

Category: Amor De Lacquer, Nails

1. victoria says:

lol I subscribe to Katie Hughes on yt and her magnetic polishes are Australia only so I psyched that Sephora has the Nails inc ones!

Check out Houses of Parliament by Nails Inc., gorgeous!

2. WANT! I went in store to find the trio of Nails, Inc. polishes, but they didn’t have them yet.
    Cosmetics Aficionado recently blogged about Swatches: OPI Muppet Glitters Part 1My Profile

3. Tamika D. says:

Girl, you have introduced me to something new! NEVER heard of, but will be searchin’ for it today. Cute nails. Thanks for this review!
    Tamika D. recently blogged about Indie Love: Silver TonguesMy Profile

4. Katie says:

I have the silver one from nails inc and its amazing! Unfortunately Sephora is not offering the three pack anymore. This polish looks great too. I wish magnetic polishes were less expensive but they are so worth it! Great pictures! :)

5. Melissa says:

Your nails look beautiful! I LOVE that color. (I’m partial to purple) ;-)

• Brittany says:

Purple is starting to become one of my favorite colors. And this is coming from someone who has never had a favorite color. :D

6. EyeGraffiti says:

I gotta get my hands of one of these. Supercool. And you got such nice nails!
    EyeGraffiti recently blogged about Orange coreMy Profile

7. gio says:

Your nails look beautiful! Love the color and the finish!
    gio recently blogged about QOTW: Do You Match Your Nail Polish To Your Makeup?My Profile

8. Aki says:

Sorry to be the debbie downer but the Nail Inc. polish is a big disappointment. I just returned my2 bottles today. The polish is good, the magnetic effect amazing, buttttt, they chip almost instantly i polished with base and top coat on Sunday night and by wednesday i had to take it of because it chipped so bad. Read through the sephora reviews many have mentioned the chipping issue. definitely no worth the $16.

I do love the whole magnetic concept though so i’m going to try other brands as they come out.

9. Kate says:

You KNOW I love me some magnetic polish. The only beef I have with the ones coming out recently are the stripes. My L’Oreal’s (which I keep under lock and key – precious, they are) make a sunburst pattern. Like a shiny star, or firework. I prefer those. Must be the shape of the magnet? ANYWAY, your nails look fab! Maybe more will come out with the starburst look? I will live in hope.

10. This polish is hands down beautiful. It has just enough pop to shine above the rest.

11. Brenda says:

You can get 12 different shades of the Layla polish @ Ulta, $15.50. Works amazing!!!