How to Create Sunburst Lips – Like A Boss.

| February 28, 2012 | 32 Comments

When I fall for something, y’all…I fall hard. Take music for example. I can listen to the same songs for days, weeks and YEARS at a time. I STILL play “Let’s Groove” by Earth, Wind & Fire like it came out in January of last year. I am a free spirit but I am a comfortable spirit too. I don’t fix what ain’t broke and while that can be a good thing, it stunts my creativity at times.

Hence why the starburst lips came to me.

Yep. They came to me. Seriously. I was rushing into work on Monday and after plopping down at my desk, I realized that my lips were bare. Bare lips are a no no on Monday mornings. I rummaged through my makeup bag and pulled out the gorgeous Venomous Cosmetics’ Let U Go.

Venomous Cosmetics is an indie brand launched by a talented beauty blogger who is based out of Central Florida. I found about VC through my blog sister and friend, Phyrra (who also lives in Central FL…woot!) and when my eyes landed on Let U Go, I knew I had to have it. I mean, look at this orange…

Gorgeous, right? It’s even more stunning in person. I own nothing like it and was glad to add it to my stash. And I didn’t use it until that rushed Monday morning. I wanted to go for something “different”, yet work appropriate. And so sunburst lips were born.

Oh. And if you hear anyone use the words “sunburst lips”, they so got it from me. I’m just sayin’. I came up with it first. ;)

First, I lined my lips using MAC’s Vino lipliner.

I’m not gonna tell y’all how long I’ve had that lipliner. Is there an expiration date for lip liner? Anyone know? Anywhoovers, I applied Revlon’s Lip Butter in Raspberry Pie.

Yep. I am still religiously wearing that buttah. I love that buttah. At this point, I grab a lip brush and get to blending.

Blending is so important. It’s like the 2nd Beauty Commandment. After “Never Wear Black Eyeliner on the Lips”, of course. After blending, I dabbed Let U Go in the middle of my lips.

And ta daaaaah!

FACT: Everyone has at least one friend that regularly takes pictures of themselves and showcases those duck lips…

Don’t be that friend. 8) Sunburst lips paired with dual blue eyeliner is quite the unexpected look. I can’t stop wearing it. I think I’m going to go for a sunburst lip using purple lippies. Whatcha think?

If you give sunburst lips,  try…let me know!

Tags: , , ,

Category: Lips

1. Phyrra says:

I love it! It looks hot on you :)
    Phyrra recently blogged about Green Parrot TutorialMy Profile

2. Sherry says:

Nice hehe.. Long time no use lip liner looks like I need dig my drawer
    Sherry recently blogged about Revlon Colourburst Lip Butter in Peach ParfaitMy Profile

3. I was a little hesitant when I saw the lip liner coming bout, but that look is so much fun! I am definitely trying that this summer!
    The Lacquered Lady recently blogged about Orly Cool Romance – My PicksMy Profile

4. Thyreast says:

Yay! Can’t wait to try this…

5. ChiChi says:

I like the Sunburst lips, although I don’t think I could pull it off.
    ChiChi recently blogged about Petites: Island Smoothie + Guest Appearance!My Profile

6. adri says:

I love the way you pair the lip with blue, it makes you eyes pop!
    adri recently blogged about "Do you have any Boner Pills?"My Profile

7. Cool trick. I have not even heard of this method. Great makeup how to.
    The Girlie Blogger recently blogged about How to Color Block? Color Block Dress Up and Fashion TipsMy Profile

8. Jewel says:

I just MIGHT try that today. MIGHT. Maybe.
    Jewel recently blogged about Bloomingdale’s, Mac Cosmetics, My Besties, and ME!My Profile

9. Diane Cristi says:

LOVE IT!!!
    Diane Cristi recently blogged about HAUL!My Profile

10. gio says:

What a great idea! I don’t think I could pull off Sunburnt lips but the look great on you!
    gio recently blogged about How Long Should I Use A Skincare Product Before Deciding If It Works Or Not?My Profile

11. Carmen C says:

Awwww….I miss our musical memories, esp in the car, lol! I love the sunburst look. So creative :)

12. Nikkia says:

Yes to the sunburst lips!!! Love it! Can’t wait to see more combos :-)
    Nikkia recently blogged about OPI Nicki Minaj Collection: Haul, Review, Swatches, PhotosMy Profile

13. victoria says:

Love the look!

14. MsFarrah27 says:

So pretty Brittany, I can’t wait to try it on myself and I also can’t wait for your next color combo!! Stay gorgeous:)

15. Jyoan says:

Wow, this is a really daring look!

If I wear that in my country, I would get stares.

There are times I choose mismatched lip gloss, and realise it’s orange on pink, then I would clear it off and pick a pink one to match the lipstick.
    Jyoan recently blogged about Smack Lips with LiP SMACKER by Paul FrankMy Profile

16. Khadine says:

I love it! And the name is cute too :)…I also love that you paired it with the dual blue liner. Great color combos.

For some reason the lip gloss looks more like a mustard yellow in the photo (or maybe it’s my monitor?)…either way, gotta try those lips! :)
    Khadine recently blogged about Sam Fine’s Tips on Choosing the Perfect Red Lipstick!My Profile

17. Vanessa says:

How creative brit! It’s kinda like…colorblocking of the lips!
    Vanessa recently blogged about Rave Review: OPI Drip Dry Drying DropsMy Profile

18. Lavendar says:

Definitely Yay! I will be trying this one…..minus the duck lips. LOL

19. Ashley says:

This looks awesome on you! You know I have to try this now. Love how you’re trademarking the name. :) And your duck lips are cracking me up!
    Ashley recently blogged about Hits Fox TrotMy Profile

20. Looks so fierce on you!!!!
    Stefanie (IFCURVESCOULDTALK) recently blogged about REVIEW: Wet ‘n’ Wild Dark Wine Lipstick (522A)My Profile

21. Chriselle Sy says:

I’m planning on doing this for my makeup school graduation photoshoot on Saturday!
    Chriselle Sy recently blogged about How to Tell Fake MAC Cosmetics from The Real ThingMy Profile

22. Crystal S says:

I think I just found a use for some of my Morgana Cryptoria glosses. *squeal*
    Crystal S recently blogged about Essence Cosmetics Lip Liners are .99 Cents of Awesome!My Profile

23. Melissa says:

Wow! That look screams summertime and beaches to me! (I’m a midwesterner – such things are like Shangrila to me)

24. janel porter says:

hi b! really nice look. i so need to start experimenting with lip glosses–you seem to always find the prettiest/most pigmented ones. any tips?
    janel porter recently blogged about PINK (Mani) WEDNESDAY: My Heart’s DESIRE…!My Profile

25. Erica says:

Pretty and original. I can see a lot of girls with this style for the Spring and Summer.

26. KB says:

I’m late. Tried this. LOVE IT!

27. danielle says:

hasnt someone already invented this ? i love your eyeliner though.

28. Kate Smith says:

The combinations are perfect for summer. Loved your eyeliner as well. this look is perfect for skin tone, I think, so I’ll put this on the beach this weekend^^
    Kate Smith recently blogged about MSDSonline Teams up with ASSE and Jennifer Silk for GHS Webinar on April 19My Profile

29. Jean says:

Yes to sunburst lips, and YES YES YES to purple lippies!!