Baby Clumps: 17 Weeks + Confusion

| August 24, 2012 | 14 Comments

I have fantastic news! I ate regular food this week. Eeeeeek! Y’all have no idea…NO idea how much this means to me. I feel like I’ve been hungover for 3 months and being able to eat something that I actually enjoy without it making me want to hurl is just…amazing. I feel like I should give a speech or something. I’m just so elated.

This week of pregnancy has actually been realllly good. I had a brief stint of random morning sickness that hit me at 7pm on Tuesday and wouldn’t go away but other than that, I’ve been in good spirits with very little complaints. And trust me – that’s the first. I haven’t been so super exhausted but still manage to sleep through the night. Headaches plague me every now and then but as a migraine sufferer, headaches are actually tolerable to me.

Here’s what Bean is up to this week…

My how your baby has grown! She’s about the size of your palm, weighs about five ounces, and is developing some body fat (join the club, baby!). Her heart is now regulated by her brain (no more random beats) to beat 140 to 150 times per minute — about twice as fast as yours! What else is up? She’s practicing the survival skills she’ll need at birth — like sucking and swallowing. (source)

And in other good news – I’ve got a legit baby bump. It’s so adorable and I’m glad to know that it’s not making me look like a whale. Not yet, at least. I’m a plus sized gal and so being pregnant always meant that I wouldn’t be just ALL belly. I didn’t want my pregnant belly to look like a big gut, ya know? I know the un-thin girls out there can relate.

Acne is still attacking my face and now I’ve got bacne. I’ve never had it before so to discover 5-7 pimples on my back is quite disturbing. I want nothing more than to go to the dermatologist for that and my eczema that is going out of control. But I’ll wait until after Bean is born. Hopefully by then, my skin will straighten out.

I’m starting to realize that maybe people were right about that whole “One day you’ll wake up and feel better.” thing is true. I’m not sure what day it was but I stopped being super nauseous, gagging at the thought of food and a belly started to appear. It was as if the clouds lifting and I started feeling like myself again. Thank you, Lord! I can probably go ahead and really start investing in some maternity clothes. I’ve got 2 pairs of pants but zero shirts. I’m not sure if I’m a fan of the super fitted look on pregnant bellies. Granted I don’t need to wear loose “Mommy” shirts but I’ve got to find some comfortable and cute pieces. I’ll probably be thrifting ‘em because I just can’t go breaking the bank on brand new maternity wear. Except for maternity/nursing bras because those are SO essential right now.

Can I be honest, chicas? I don’t really know what I should be doing. Like…with anything. There’s nothing that frightens me about being a mother because I know I can do that. But it’s the stuff leading up to it that has me in a whirl of confusion. When do I do a registry? What symptoms warrant fear? Is it okay that I forget to take the other half of my prenatals every day? Is it okay that I’m having a girl but don’t want her doused in pink everything? How much should I be eating? How much is too much? Is sitting for 8 hours a day bad for me? Will this varicose vein go away? Can I get my hair dyed? Is it okay that I don’t desire being a stay-at-home mom? How long should I breastfeed for? Am I getting enough protein in this vegetarian pregnancy?

And yeah – a lot of that stuff is unimportant in the scheme of things and I don’t go around wrecking my brain over them but I wish I wasn’t in such a wave of confusion all the time. I guess all first time moms go through the same thing.

Tis all, y’all! Thank you so much for the continued love and support. I know these baby posts aren’t up everyone’s alley (I realize some people just don’t care about this kind of stuff – and that’s fine) but Clumps has been my love for 5 years so I would feel “off” not sharing this with the Clumps family. Know what I mean?

Other Baby Posts:
-Bean’s Announcement
-Baby Clumps: 15 Weeks
-Baby Clumps: 16 Weeks

Tags: , ,

Category: Pregnancy

1. sophie says:

Good to hear its getting better, hope it all goes well :)

Sophierosehearts x
    sophie recently blogged about Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream Sample ReviewMy Profile

2. Stacy says:

B’s got a baby bump!!! Adorable.

3. beautyscraps says:

I’m loving the baby bump! Glad to hear that you are feeling better, too! I love reading your updates :)
    beautyscraps recently blogged about Alphabet Challenge: W is for Wet Cement by Wet N Wild – Swatches and ReviewMy Profile

4. Megan says:

Your bump is adorbs! Old Navy has affordable maternity clothes. Welcome to parenthood – you will forever be full of questions, wondering if you’re doing the right thing. As long as you’re doing the best you can with what you have at the time, you’re doing it right. As for your worries about not wanting to be a stay at home mum, check this article: http://jezebel.com/5936993/working-moms-are-happier-healthier-than-all-other-moms

5. Kadiej says:

Eating while preggars without hurling? What’s that? lmbo. I have hyperemesis gravitas which is fancy talk for the worst morning sickness known to man. But oddly enough I enjoy hearing about people eating and watching cooking shows. Maybe I’m building up for when my day of sunshine comes and a burger doesn’t look like brains in a bun covered in funky armpit? lol. Congrats on being able to eat again.

• Brittany says:

Girlfriend, you have my sympathy. Every time I wanted to just cry and cry because of how miserable I felt, I remembered the women that have dealt with hyperemesis gravitas.

6. Phyrra says:

I am so happy to read about your progress!
    Phyrra recently blogged about Castaway with Urban Decay, Too Faced, BftE & MoreMy Profile

7. MsFarrah says:

I LOVE the baby posts!!!keep them coming:) I am living vicariously through you with this pregnancy until my time. Im unsure if you can dye your hair because of the chemicals, as for your prenatal pills keep them by your beside so you can take one before bed each night if your remember! I am thinking for the registry you should do it around the 6th or 7th month?? IDK:)Breastfeeding is a touchy subject for some people they say some women do it for too long or too short(to each his own) do what you feel comfortable with, its your baby!It’s ok if she isn’t in all pink everything, dress her up have fun! Ok I guess I am done, I feel like I am talking to you in person and we have never met!(sorry if I blabbed too much)

8. Adeline says:

Yay for baby bumps! There are tons of vegetarian pregnancy books/cookbooks. I recommend checking them out.
    Adeline recently blogged about Review: Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo FoundationMy Profile

9. Stefanie says:

I LOVE IT!!!!! IM AN AUNTIE!!
    Stefanie recently blogged about FOTD: Nerdy in RedMy Profile

10. Amy says:

Buy Aveeno bath packets. Even though it is meant for eczema it will also help with skin acne problems. My dermatologist is the one that turned me on to them. Here is the product: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16475&catid=290055&aid=338666&aparam=16475
    Hope it helps ya!

11. Virginia says:

So glad your feeling better! I remember when I was prego, I woke up after a good 3 months of just straight up hurling (morning noon and night), and i felt good. Hungry, but not nauseous! I was so excited. Its ok to forget your vitamins once in a while (pregnancy brain..that stuff NEVER goes away..lol). You have nothing to be afraid of..this is the easy part:) I enjoy reading these updates. Blogs are extensions of ourselves, and we your loyal readers are along for the ride:D

12. Monica says:

I can’t imagine experiencing all the up’s and down’s of pregnancy. It seems like you’re holding up great, B! And your bump is too cute.
    Monica recently blogged about Revlon Just Bitten Lipstains VS Just Bitten Kissible Balm Stains + OOTDMy Profile