Oh snap..it’s the Urban Decay Naked Basics palette!

| December 6, 2012 | 31 Comments

Many things make me happy. Paydays, surprise visits from friends, sales, Esposo’s good cookin’, glitter…you know things like that. But honey, nothing really gets me all giddy more than a new Urban Decay palette. I mean, honestly… No one makes a bangin’ eyeshadow palette like UD. Nobody. The Vice and Smoked palettes are still sleeping next to me. They’re going to have to scoot over because there’s a new palette in town.

DSC_4390

DSC_4340

POW! Do you see that? If you’re hip to beauty news, you have likely already heard about this one. It launched about a week and a half ago and it had us beauty guys and gals in quite the frenzy. Some of us were all like “WTF…who needs another Naked palette?”

DSC_4330

And then there were others who were like, “Crap. I’ve already got both Naked palettes but I must.get.this.one.” And then there’s me. I was just drooling over the images of it online because that’s what I do. Drool over beauty products. Don’t be judgin’ me. Say hiya to the Naked Basics palette.

DSC_4333

She fine, ain’t she? I will not compare her to the other palettes. We will just talk about her awesome features. Fair enough, right?

These shadows are ALL mattes. I freaking loooooove matte eyeshadows. I mean, adore. I got several emails from my brown girls questioning if these mattes were rich enough to pop up on darker skin, and yep…they are!

DSC_4346

Venus is considered a demi-matte. It has very subtle shimmer but still applies just as well as the other shadows. It’s not exactly a white shadow. It leans more on the pearl side to me.

Foxy is a beige/faint almond shade. It is probably the least pigmented of the bunch.

Walk Of Shame is a pale pink. The 3 of these, I’m thinking will best work under the browbone. It seemed to have more chalkiness than any of the other colors.

DSC_4353

Naked2 is taupe. It’s super pigmented so this is the shade that I would likely use on my lid every time I use this palette.

Faint is a rich milk chocolate and it works beautifully in the crease. It is super super pigmented.

Crave is a matte black. And what’s not to love about those?

The last 3 eyeshadows seem to be more pigmented but I’m okay with that as I would only use Venus, Foxy and S.O.S. under my browbone anyway. I prefer not to have super pigmented colors under the brow. A quick look I cranked out… The looks was far more vibrant in person but also note that I had gotten 9-10 hours out of wear time before I snapped this photo.

DSC_4374

DSC_4385

OVERALL: Considering I don’t own any of the Naked palettes (I know…how lame), I am really loving this one. This price point is significantly less as it only costs $27. It’s the perfect little palette for quick trips. I love that it doesn’t take up much space yet I’ve got 6 great shades that I can easily work with to crank out a decent work-appropriate look. Would I be THIS excited over this palette if I already owned the first 2 Naked palettes? Yes. Because this palette still contains 6 mattes and I find matte shadows the easiest to work with when I have very little time.

How much and where to get it?: This palette is $27 (original Naked and Naked 2 palettes are $50) and it is currently available at Sephora, ULTA, select Macy’s stores and UrbanDecay.com.

Whatcha think? Are you impressed with Naked Basics?

Tags: , ,

Category: Eyes

1. Virginia says:

As an owner of both naked palettes, yes..I NEED this. As beautiful as the naked palettes are, they are seriously lacking in the matte shadow department. I find myself having to reach for my single matte shadows to use with either palette..so I will definitely be picking this up :)
    Virginia recently blogged about Review! Milani Shadow Eyez 12 Hr Pencil-Champagne Toast & Brown DeluxeMy Profile

2. victoria says:

UD definitely responded to those who couldn’t wear the shimmer of the first 2 Naked Palettes, I’m already ready for Naked Basics 2 lol

• Brittany says:

UD definitely knows how to listen to their consumers. More than any other brand I’ve known. I’m not a shimmer gal so yes, these mattes are wonderfullllll.

3. Stacy Lackey says:

Nah, I’ll be passing on this one. I’m not fond of all the lighter shades. They seem a bit chalky to me and if I’m honest with myself I’m sure I could find something in my massive collection that would be close to all of these shades. I’ll be having several seats and shopping my stash for a while.

• Brittany says:

Those first 3 shades are a bit tough to work with but the darker ones are silky and smooth. But yeah, I understand…sometimes you have to shop the stash and convince yourself that you don’t need any new stuffs. Been there!

• LaToya says:

I see nothing at all special about this palette if you are a dark brown skin girl like myself. Where in the heck would I wear those first three shades?!
      Nowhere…

Can’t please us all I guess….

• Brittany says:

You’re right…all palettes don’t appeal to all beauty lovers. As I mentioned in my review, the first 3 shades are really ideal for browbone placement (or if you have a lot of eye space like me “the bridge). I probably wouldn’t get much use out of them anywhere else. On a good note, you can not get this palette and save up for another one. Ha! :)

4. Alice says:

I’m with Stacy Lackey-I’m going to pass on this. I already know I have dupes of the darker three that I would get the most wear out of and I need to control myself this holiday season ^_^.

Out of curiosity, is Crave a renamed or dupe of Perversion? And is Naked2 anything like Buck? They look pretty similar…
    Alice recently blogged about Hair Idol: Vinette RobinsonMy Profile

• Brittany says:

I had to ask my blog sister Courtney of Phyrra.net about this one since she’s a UD encyclopedia. :cool: She says, “Crave is a brown black, not a black black. So in my opinion, no Crave and Perversion are not dupes. I don’t know about Buck because I don’t own it, BUT, from looking at UD’s website I think Buck is darker.”

There you have it!

5. Nikki says:

The shades are definitely must-haves! I want this! And I like it that the packaging is compact!

6. Thanks for sharing this! I was excited when this came out and still plan to get it, although I’ve realized I have more similar shades to the ones in this palette than I first noticed. But still, the texture of UD shadows is so good, and these colors are so pretty and versatile, I think it’ll still be worth picking up :)
    Catherine (@bcrueltyfree) recently blogged about Lippy Girl Makeup: Organic Lipstick and Mineral BlushMy Profile

7. Looks great on you! I almost picked this up, but the shades were just too light. I wish it had some more darker shades.
    The Lacquered Lady recently blogged about China Glaze Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away Collection – Igniting LoveMy Profile

8. ShantaFabulous says:

I think I’m going to pass on this one. I hope they come out with a darker matte palette.

9. Adeline says:

I almost bought this yesterday! I’m still considering it pretty strongly though, I really love foxy but I already have one. My only fault is its sort of tiny, and I know I’d use it lots so it wouldn’t last very long.
    Adeline recently blogged about Review: OhYum!My Profile

10. BooBooNinja says:

You’re totally NOT lame!
    By your logic, I’d be lame too as I don’t yet own any Urban Decay and well… I don’t think I’m lame. :)

This is a sweet lil’ palette. I think it’ll also be my entry into the UD Naked series, as soon as I’ve finished one of the nude/neutral eyeshadows in my stash.

11. Nia says:

Hey!
    I just love ur sweet, cheerful yet so sweet post, that I hope I can add a directly link to it on my blog. Currently working on some UD posts that need some more work.. but u r just so lovely. Made me smile. I will def be reading more of ur posts <3!
    Nia recently blogged about Gifts for girls (meant for men) (Nia)My Profile

12. Melissa says:

I don’t plan on getting it. I’m sure I have those colors somewhere in my big collection.

13. I also love Urban Decay because it is a cruelty free brand. So it does have place in my heart.
    GreenSensiblePlanet Blog recently blogged about How to Lose Weight Fast and NaturallyMy Profile

14. shikha says:

I just bought this. I too have brown skin, but plan on using the lighter shades to help blend/transition the colour I use in the inner eye to the middle of the eye. More like pat it in. Mine did not come with a brush. Very disappointed in that omission.

15. Stacie says:

I’m not so much a eye shadow girl(more lipstick and polish) but this intrigues me. I think I’ll have to check it out.
    Stacie recently blogged about NOTD: A Festive LookMy Profile

16. Aleya Bamdad says:

I love this palette. It really does have everything that you need for a day or evening look.
    Aleya Bamdad recently blogged about Mia MariuMy Profile

17. [...] ever since I did my post on Urban Decay’s Naked Basics palette, y’all screamed at me at how much of a loser I was for having not tried the other Naked [...]

18. I want it sooooo badly!! Hope to get it soon! (: